I have to say, when the office manager of the Einstein externship I am currently completing said that this was my last week, I was shell shocked. Has it really been four weeks already?! It feels like only yesterday I was driving up here after Mike and I's honeymoon! This month has been filled with a lot of new experiences both in the OR and in the clinic setting.
Last week we had a few surgical cases, some of which I had seen (and blogged about) before, others were new. One of the newer ones I saw was a "syndactylization of the 4th and 5th digits". Translation: We sewed the 4th and 5th digits together. Why would we do such a thing? Well, we also did a 5th toe "arthroplasty"
Translation: We cut a small part of the end of the bone off of the 5th toe...why? bc the bone had a small prominence that was causing the patient pain. So, we do our arthroplasty and bc it is the 5th toe, its usually pretty unstable, so, we sew it to the 4th toe to give it some stability. AKA, we permanently buddy taped the two toes together.
I have never seen this surgery done before, but it was exciting to see. The sutures that are involved with this are pretty intricate because you are sewing the two toes together. The patient has two normal looking toes and unless you try to spread the toes, you do not know they are sewn together.
Other than those surgeries, we have seen a lot of patients in clinic. Although the majority of them have been diabetic patients in to get those toenails cut, the month has allowed me to work on my skills as a clinician.
I also got the opportunity to see the Philadelphia Phillies play on Friday night against the Red Sox and it was a good game! The Phillies ended up pulling off the win and it was a lot of fun to be down in Philadelphia for the win. We then went across the street to a bar and watched the last part of the 76'ers game, which was also very exciting, and they pulled the win out too. It was a good night in Philadelphia!
Lets Go Phillies!!!!
Saturday Shannon planned a nice little afternoon out in Bucks County to some of the many vineyards that are out there. We barely made it to four of them. I have to say, for a state that is very strict on where you can buy your wine, a lot of the vineyards we went to were free tastings and pour your own. (clearly they have not met me...or my friends) We had a great afternoon and the weather could have not been better. We ended the day grilling out and playing Wii:)
Many vineyards of Bucks County
Sunday Shannon and I went to one of the nearby state parks to play some frisbee golf. Apparently, frisbee golf is pretty popular here, because there are quite a few courses around the area. This course had a hole on the side of this hill that overlooked the lake and it was beautiful!! Frisbee golf was a lot of fun and it would be something I would do again.
I fell in mud on one of the holes...whoops
Philadelphia Stadiums!
Shout Outs
~To Shannon Marriner, for planning a great weekend and teaching me how to play frisbee golf. Also for the fantastic display of Philadelphia sports on Friday night!
~To the Shanley and Mancuso family, hope you guys have a great time in Italy
~To Carly Rae Jepsen, for her single "Call me Maybe". It was the theme song to our weekend.
~To my wonderful husband, Mike, cheers to our one month anniversary!
Can not believe its already been a month!




No comments:
Post a Comment